Computer Professionals' Union
Software Freedom Day Philippines 2023: Towards our Digital Freedom
Technology has been developing at an exponential rate. Year after year new iterations of hardware and software are made available to consumers. While it is an exciting time for technology, it does not come without consequences.
The rise of Generative Artificial Intelligence has shown us how software can make our work easier for us, but consequently deprive others of work and just compensation. Meanwhile, our data is unknowingly being stolen from us through surveillance capitalism, creating algorithms and designs for superprofits that have real-world negative impacts on ordinary folk—spanning political, economic, social, and cultural spheres.
This year, in line with Digital Freedom Foundation’s call to “reassess our priorities and inform the public about the benefits of Software Freedom” for the 20th anniversary of Software Freedom Day, Software Freedom Day Philippines will examine how Software Freedom can contribute to our struggle for digital freedom particularly in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
As rapidly evolving technology becomes more and more monopolized by a handful of rich and powerful people, the more urgent and important it is for us to wrest control over technologies—especially those which we are compelled to use—and the data we consequently produce.
- To examine how Free, Libre, Open Source Software (FLOSS) can empower us to use and develop AI that is for the people
- To engage FLOSS and Open movement advocates to campaign and lobby for digital rights that would ensure our digital freedom
- When: September 16 (Saturday), 2:00PM - 4:00PM
- Where: Sikat Inc, Tomas Morato, Quezon City
Software Freedom Day Philippines 2023: Towards our Digital Freedom will be in the form of a Kapihan—a casual semi-structured semi-guided conversation for a small- to medium-sized group.
In accordance with the event’s objectives, here are initial questions to guide the discussion:
- How do we understand or define Artificial Intelligence?
- What is the current state of FLOSS in the field of AI?
- What are the concerns of FLOSS practitioners and advocates in the current AI landscape?
- How do we envision Digital Freedom in AI?
- How can FLOSS (principles, community, and technology) contribute to AI that benefits the majority of Filipino citizens?
- Enshrining our rights in laws and policies provide legal basis and protections for our freedoms. What policies should we advocate for to ensure our Digital Freedom?
Participants may raise additional questions prior to and during the event.
NOTE: To fuel and sustain campaign and lobby efforts for digital rights, minutes of the discussion will be recorded. Participants may opt to use a pseudonym for note-taking purposes to preserve their privacy and anonymity.