Software Freedom Day - Saturday 18th of September 2021
Free Software Melbourne and Linux Australia
It's almost time for Software Freedom Day, and this year Free Software Melbourne and Linux Users Victoria are celebrating the 18th Software Freedom Day online. We'll be hosting a range of talks and presentations about the importance and benefits of Free Software to users and how this improves society and nurtures healthy communities.
This year we will be hearing talks about hardware that respects your privacy, tools to empower you to take back control over your own data, privacy respecting searching on the web. As well as demonstrations of tools to help you collaborate and communicate online, and Free Software in the enterprise environment. All that and of course lots of Linux! Because this is the 30th anniversary for the first public release of the Linux kernel and the Linux kernel is arguably the most popular GPL licenced software on the planet. There will be plenty of Linux talks along with the official launch of the Longer Life with Linux campaign.
Participation is no cost and we are of course holding the event online. The event link will open directly in your browser (we recommend Firefox or Chromium) so no additional software is required and it will work on any operating system.
Software Freedom Day is a family friendly event welcoming to anyone, and open to people of all technical abilities. Pass on the invitation to anyone you think may enjoy it and help make it a great day. We have a code of conduct available on our website, but in short: Be respectful, Be inclusive and Be aware.
Hope to see you all online for the best Software Freedom Day ever!
- Date: Saturday the 18th of September 2021
- Time: Talks starting at 10:30am and wrapping up about 5:30pm
- Location: Online Meeting Room links will be disclosed closer to the event.
- Meeting Tips:
- Mute microphone when not speaking.
- Headsets recommended to reduce feedback if you will be speaking.
- If you are having difficulty hearing or being heard there is a chat stream available.
- If you want to ask a question during the presentation either ask it in the chat or use the “raise hand” button.
Code of Conduct: http://freesoftware.org.au/code-of-conduct/
Mailing List: Stay in touch by joining our mailing list here: https://lists.softwarefreedom.com.au/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/free-software-melb