Revision 1 as of 2020-09-03 15:05:24
add Melbourne event details
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
|* 11:00am - John Gieryn - Software for decision making and how to make a living from FOSS||* 11:00am - Dr Morgan Leigh - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death|
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
|* 1:30pm - Dr Morgan Leigh - Ethics in Software Development||* 1:30pm - Lightning Talks|
Free Software Melbourne and Linux Users Victoria
Free Software Melbourne and Linux Users Victoria are celebrating the 17th annual Software Freedom Day celebrations in Melbourne. We will present a range of leaders in the Free-Software community that will talk about the importance of Free-Software to a free society.
The SFD celebration will kickoff with what is "Free and Open Source Software" and why is it so important for a modern, digital society. We'll be hearing from leading contributors and organizers of companies building businesses around Free and Open Source projects. We're also going to talk about the ethics of software development and the advantages of building a prosthetic using open hardware. There is also the opportunity for networking opportunities in our general FLOSS chat room during the day.
- 10:00am - Welcome and Introductions
- 10:15am - What is Free Software?
- 11:00am - Dr Morgan Leigh - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death
- 12:00pm - FLOSS Chat Room
- 1:30pm - Lightning Talks
- 2:30pm - Kathy Reid - Good, better, breast: Building a sensing mastectomy prosthetic with open hardware
- 3:30pm - Frank Karlitschek - How Nextcloud stayed productive during COVID-19 and how others did the same
4:30pm - Mike Saunders & Italo Vignoli - LibreOffice and the future
Participation is both free and liberating. Software Freedom Day is a family friendly event welcoming to anyone, pass on the word to help make it a great day. We have a code of conduct available on our website, but in short: Be respectful, Be inclusive and Be aware.
Hope to see you all online for our most exciting Software Freedom Day yet!
- Date: Saturday the 19th of September 2020
- Time: Talks starting at 10:00am and wrapping up about 6:00pm
- Location: Online with Big Blue Button
- Meeting Tips: Mute microphone when not speaking. Headsets recommended to reduce feedback if you will be speaking. If you are having difficulty hearing or being heard there is a chat stream available. If you want to ask a question during the presentation either ask it in the chat or use the “raise hand” button.
Code of Conduct: http://freesoftware.org.au/code-of-conduct/
SFD Australia: http://www.sfd.org.au