Linux Accra User Group
Linux Accra User Group, is the only indigenous Linux user group with the aim of empowering open source and free software. As Linux enthusiast group we provide free support, installation, training and other relevant materials and services for users. The Linux Accra User Group, Ghana (LAUG) meets every Saturdays from 2pm to 5pm (14:00 - 17:00) at the Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT - Advance Information Technology Institute, is located at 2nd Avenue Ridge, Opposite the Council of State or Ghana School Feeding Programme.
What do we do at these meetings ?
- Install distributions for newcomers and strangers.
- Help solve Linux related problems,
- as well as engaging in networking, etc.
- Teach members the benefits of Linux,
- comparing Linux to other operating systems.
- Teach about Linux Kernel Teach about the various types of Linux Programming Languages.
- Teach members about application software.
- Discuss advocacy. Discuss the free software / open-source movement.
Our purpose is to:
- Support new and old Linux operating system users in Ghana.
- Provide a forum for getting support on Linux related questions.
- Help new users install their own copies of Linux, in their own way.
- Increase awareness of the Linux operating system to Ghana IT community.
- Connect technology providers to developers and users to increase the knowledge base of available technology solutions.
- Connect people through networking and educational programs and forums to improve the understanding of the industry and to share knowledge and experience.
- Connect people to bring solutions to technology developers and users.
- Connect education to the industry through programs and initiatives to increase the skills of today's and tomorrow's workforce. publicizes career pathways and opportunities in the industry for students and new workers.
Linux Accra User Group, Ghana in collaboration with Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT invites you and your company to participate on Software Freedom Day 2017 that comes off on September 16th, 2017. Software Freedom Day is a global grassroots event and as such a non-profit making organization which seeks the well being of all. The event is theme: “Open Source for Sustainable Job Creation and meeting the Security needs of today”
Software Freedom Day is a global celebration of FOSS. Over 1000 volunteer groups in over 120 countries all around the globe will be celebrating the 12th Software Freedom Day (#SFD) this year on September 15th 2017. Software Freedom Day is an annual grass roots effort to educate the public on the virtues of Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) and also to encourage its use. Over 1000+ participants participated in our previous events put together. We are expecting about 200+ participants this year.
Linux User Group Accra and Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT promotes the inclusion of Open-Standards and Open-Source solutions where applicable. We are dedicated to educating software professionals of the choices that are available in the Open-Source community. We encourage the use and participation in Open-Source projects. We are not anti-commercial software. However, we are against the blind illusion that commercial software is always a better choice. Among some of the activities that will take place during the celebration are:
- discuss the experiences of countries that has adopted open source for national development.
- to add value to Ghana's economy by encouraging business growth and competitiveness through the use of Open Source Technology.
- to advance the theory and practice of open source technology in Ghana.
- to establish a public awareness of the potential impact of open source technology will have on Ghana.
- to create opportunity for all Ghanaians to enjoy the benefits offered by Open Source Technology.
- educate participants on how to harness open source (especially social media, mobile solutions, e-learning etc.) to achieve Institutional objectives.
- connects technology providers to developers and users to increase the knowledge base of available technology solutions.
- connects Institutions to the industry through programs and initiatives to increase the skills of today's and tomorrow's workforce.
- discuss career pathways and opportunities in the industry for students and workers
- workshop for participants to learn how to install various Linux distributions and other relevant information on Linux
- exhibition of some of the open source software projects.
The event will take place at the Ghana-India Kofi Annan Advanced Information Technology Institute (AITI-KACE) opposite the Council of State, on Saturday, September 16th 2017.
The event starts at 09:00am prompt. Your early response will be appreciated. For further enquiry please contact Fred Yeboah of Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT (AITI-KACE): 026-4679822 or Stephen Donkor (Linux User Group Accra, Ghana): 020-8254044 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.linuxaccra.org
In this respect, we highly appreciate your participation to enrich the diversity of perspectives and contents to be presented to policy makers. We believe that your invaluable experience, insight and contribution will add to what is potentially a very important discussion for Ghana.
Stephen Donkor Team Lead (0208254044)
- Stephen Mawutor Donkor
- Sabra Asante
- Rexford Nyarko
- Laud Bentil
- Nii okai
- Ben Osie
- Edward Baidoo
- Enock Seth Nyamador
- Stella Fumi
- Asantewaa Debrah
- Debora Dornuki Dameh
- Cobby Mensah
- Prince Annan Koomson
- Wisdom Donkor
- Fred Yeboah
- Lorenzo Cabrini
- Selasi Kodzo Ahoto
- Kwaku Oteng
- Kobby Ansah
- Nana Fosu Nyante
- Esther Anowa Hyford
- Issac Nii Quaye
- Kwame Appiah Okai
- Abigail Darko
- Joel Nartey
- Memunatu Karbuki Ibrahim
- Mary Jonah
- Elizabeth Ayeley Okine
- Gideon Ntow Okai
- Mrs. Caroline Appiah
The annual Software Freedom Day Celebration - 2017 is being recognise at Advance Information Technology Institute, Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT (AITI - KACE), 2nd Avenue Ridge, Opposite the Council of State.