|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
|Planning for SFD 2012 is going well. If you would like to get involved in planning or want to know how to get your user group involved please send an email to mark-at-jumpingbean.co.za (mxclarke4 skype) or tim.haak-at-gmail.com. Or make an entry on this wiki. Our next meeting is online on the 15 Aug 15:30.||Planning for SFD 2012 is going well. If you would like to get involved in planning or want to know how to get your user group involved please send an email to mark-at-jumpingbean.co.za (mxclarke4 skype) or tim.haak-at-gmail.com. Or make an entry on this wiki.
= Next Meeting =
Our next meeting is online on the 23 Aug at 18:00
*[[2012/SouthAfrica/Johannesburg/Meeting 23 Aug at 18:00|Meeting 23 Aug at 18:00]] - Real life
= Previous Meetings =
*[[2012/SouthAfrica/Johannesburg/Meeting 15 Aug at 15:30|Meeting 15 Aug at 15:30]] - Online
*[[2012/SouthAfrica/Johannesburg/Meeting 10 August 2012|Meeting 10 August 2012]] - Online
|Line 8:||Line 20:|
= Next Meeting Wed 15 Aug at 15:30 - online =
Three Sections below:
* Report back on meeting 10 Aug
* Agenda and items for discussion 15 Aug
* Archived content
== Summary of decision meeting 10 August 2012 ==
=== Agenda ===
* Science Hack Day follow up,
* Venue follow up,
* Keynote follow up
* Sponsor follow up
* User group report back
=== Outcomes ===
* We will be holding SFD in conjunction with Science Hack Day- for objectives for SHD - see (somone to provide url)
* Location - removed Vodaworld from list of available venues. We discussed the impact on Pretoria people of moving venue from Midrand but it was felt the costs of the venue in Midrand, the need to work with SHD and the problem with time outweighed this concern. SHD requires 2 days of venue hire. It was felt that if this kind of money was available it could be better spent on something else.
* Key note speaker list was firmed up
* report back from user groups - not much reported back, waiting for people to complete consultation process with members
Main objectives achieved:
* SHD organised introduced
* people know what SHD is and we agreed objectives of SHD and SFD are complementary. It should help both events to be more effective if they are held together. This also simplifies logistics and limited volunteer time and helps build links from FOSS community to SHD organisation.
* Progress on venue hire (see next meeting detail for more info)
* Progress on key note line up (see next meeting detail for more info)
* SuSE now part of the process after some admin hassle with last meeting
* Its hard to get sponsors interested who are willing to fund a budget because 1) We don't have a budget, 2) We have left it a bit late. It was debated whether it would be best to spend money on a venue or marketing. We will discuss further if money becomes available.,
=== Points for improvement ===
* We struggled with google hangouts. Switched to skype, some time wasted with tech issues. The first online meeting was used as a learning experience on how best to do this in future. All participants urged to upgrade skype clients to latest possible version. The one benefit is we will get better at holding on-line meetings :)
* Agenda was not made explicit - this has been rectified with this wiki entry. Apologies for the oversight.
== Next Meeting Agenda ==
Whats were talking about in the next meeting.
* Venue finalisation (internet access, catering, desks/chairs,tables)
* Keynote speaker follow up
* Sponsor follow up
* Marketing - web site
* User group report back - planned activities
=== Venue ===
Location to be either Novel office in Rivonia or WITs (For now the cost of anything else is prohibitive) Were going to going and do a combined event with Science Hack day which will be running on Saturday and Sunday
* Final decision on a location
* Two location either Novel offices or Wits
* Carolina to confirm about WITS and what's available
* Johann Els (Suse) to confirm the Novel offices.
* We need to finalise the location at this meeting
* 1-2 X lecture room, projector, mic
* room with desk & chairs to write LPI exams, should be away from the noise of the foyer area
* foyer area with tables
* food/coffee place - would be good if we could get sponsor for tea/coffee and food(if possible) *Johan Else from SuSE* may be able to help here.(Thanks)
=== Key Note ===
* Key Note
* We have several suggestions for key notes people will need to contact there suggestion and get feed back if its possible
* Tim to talk to SKA - Tim
* Carl to continue talk with Red Hat - Carl
* Maraka - ?
* High performance computing - ?
* Open Data - Schalk
=== Marketing ===
* Infrastructure set up
* Since after this meeting we can start telling people when and where we need to send out emails so people can start adding it to their calendars. We'll need several things around this to occur
* Even bright to be setup - Noto/Schalk
* Website - Noto
* We need some people to commit to talks and what they will do there 10 minute talk on
* Start thinking about what you would like to talk about. It will help if we can add some of these to the emailthat we'll be sending out
* Email that we can send to people notifying of the event
* This should also contain some of the talks we'rethinking of giving also about science hack day
=== User Group Follow Up ===
Hopefully user groups have consulted their members and got an idea of what they want to do and achieve for the day.
* Start the initial talks with groups about what they would like to door talk about on the day
* Mark - Linux certification/LPI exam lab - reduced exam fees for the day
* House 4 Hack - Arduino training ? 3D Printers so people can getthings printed with pricing?
== Other ==
*SME stream from SAOSS- Bheki. Mark following up with ict@innovation
*FOSS companies coming to the day:
* SuSE South Africa
* Linux Professional Institute
* Jumping Bean,
Jozi A Team
Planning for SFD 2012 is going well. If you would like to get involved in planning or want to know how to get your user group involved please send an email to mark-at-jumpingbean.co.za (mxclarke4 skype) or tim.haak-at-gmail.com. Or make an entry on this wiki.
= Next Meeting = Our next meeting is online on the 23 Aug at 18:00
Meeting 23 Aug at 18:00 - Real life
User groups are encourage to also organise their own activities for the day but should let us know if they need any resources such as rooms, electricity etc.
Please add your own wiki pages if you want to have more space to discuss something. You can also add pages for your own user groups to plan their activities.
Provisional schedule for the day
- 9:30 - Start
- 9:45-10:15 Main key note
- 10:15-10:30 Questions
- 10:30-10:50 Keynote 2 (if there is one)
- 10:50-11:05 Questions
- 11:05-11:25 Keynote 3 (if there is one)
- 11:25-11:45 Questions
- 11:45-12:30 Lightning talks at most 10 minutes (gives 4 talks may need to limit to 8 minutes with 2 minute setup and change over)
- 12:30-13:15 Lunch
- 13:15-15:00 Lightning talks at most 10 minutes (gives 10 talks)
- 15:00-Late Science hack day (may start earlier ? )
Sponsors/Organisations to follow up
- -Sponsor marketing sheet - Mark-
- Sponsor/Communuity follow up
- Google - Johan (not SuSE)
- -Oracle - Mark-
- -Suse - Nicole/Mark-
There is a desire to organise a web site for the event which can be used as a portal going forward. It was strongly felt that the site should leverage the service event bright so as to not re-invent the wheel, especially since we have limited time.
- LPI Exam Lab
- Linux/BDS install device (LUG?)
- Beer brewing?
- H4H hacking?
- Main Stream - as above
We are hoping that you and your organisation would like to be involved in the Johannesburg/Pretoria Software Freedom Day event on the 15th September 2012.
Software Freedom Day is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). Our goal on this day is to educate the public about the benefits of using high quality FOSS in education, in government, at home, and in business as well as to grow skills and foster the FOSS community.
SFD was established in 2004 and two years ago it was decided to re-energise the event so as to reach a broader range of people and to focus on growing FOSS community in South Africa.
The agenda for the day is to start with one or two keynote speakers and then to break into shorter more specialist talks by the various communities that will be present at the event. So far we have the following communities involved:
- Jozi Java User Group,
- Jozi Linux User Group,
- Drupal User Group,
- Warthogs – Home brewing group,
- Pretoria and Johannesburg Wireless User Group
There will also be an exhibition area where community groups can arrange their own activities as well as provide a place for member of the public to get in touch and possible join user groups of interest.
Should you be interested, your involvement with the day may take the form of participation in the planned activities and/or assistance with the sponsoring of various items in particular:
- Venue Hire,
- Internet Access,
- Printing of shirts and stickers