What is SFD Summit
SFD Summit is a conference co-organized by the Digital Freedom International and local SFD team during the Software Freedom Day. The conference is held in a different location every year. The purpose of co-organizing such an event is to raise the profile of our celebrations while bringing a public space for discussions about the future of our movement. It would as well help the Digital Freedom International in fund raising and donation campaign. The Digital Freedom International needs to work with local organizations that are able to assist with arrangements and support for the event. For each Event the Digital Freedom International will call for proposals in advance from SFD teams interested in hosting a Software Freedom Day Summit in their area.
Topics of the proposal
- Why should we do it in your city/country?
- Why should we do it with your team?
- What venue can we expect?
- What accommodations are available and at what price?
- What's the plan for internet connectivity during the conference?
- What support can we expect from other organizations on site?
- We've also added a one day 'out of conference' tour for the team and speakers, which is a good way to get together and discover a little bit more about both your place and the people who made the summit happen.
- How much should we plan for all that?
Requirements for SFD Summit
1. Ideas for conference facility
- Venue with conference facilities suitable for around 500 people
- Not too remote from an international airport
- Rooms include:
- 1 big conference room (around 300 people)
- 1 secondary parallel track (around 80 people)
- 2 smaller rooms (30 - 50 people)
- enough space for exhibitions / booths outside of the above rooms
- the above rooms should not be far from each other
- The main conference room should include:
- Power boards on the stage
- Projector screen
- 2 microphone for the presenters on the stage
- 2 portable microphones on the floor
- Notice board
2. Ideas of the program
- The SFD Summit is recommended to contain the following sessions:
- Tutorial sessions / workshops
- Lightning talks
- The DFI Board and Advisory Board Meeting
- Open discussions
- Birds of a feather (BoF) sessions
- Social activities (the opening reception, social event and closing event)
- Other small meetings
- 1 extra day for Hackfest (for documentation and marketing, etc.)
3. Internet access
- The local host assists to establish the wireless network in the conference rooms, meeting rooms and public areas.
- Catering will include lunch and morning and afternoon coffee breaks
- The local host assists in booking hotel at discounted price and provide a list of alternative, affordable accommodation options that are nearby to the event
6. Opening reception and social event
- It consists of a dinner with light entertainment
7. Local 1 day tour
- The tour would be for speakers and / or volunteers, local host should recommend a few places for the tour
8. Local event coordinator
- The local host provides a member with some event organization experience to assist DFI with local logistics
- Besides, it's better to have a team of volunteers (5 to 10 people) to work on different roles including accounting, program schedule, design and printed material production, registration, marketing, etc.
9. Sponsorship assistance
- The local host helps to seek local sponsors or consider sponsoring the event and all the profit will be donated to DFI to support the movement.
- the local host is encouraged to use local media contacts to promote the event:
- press release
- call for proposals / speakers / exhibitors
- call for sponsors
- call for volunteers
- call for participants
- after event press release
- The local host will assist DFI to build website contents for the event
12. Visa application assistance
- It will include invitation letters and other administrative support
13. Costing and budget control
- The local host will help to prepare a detailed estimated budget and check the business and tax laws carefully for your country before agreeing to host the event
14. Local community, government, industry support
- The local host will contact local community, government or industry support from the local area
15. Travel cost reference
- The cost of travel from major Asian and European cities will be taken into consideration, please submit a reference cost in the proposal as well