In order to enable a additional language here is the process:
- If you're translating while there are still more than 99 days left:
- Generate 99 'days' +3 banners: max date left down to 01 countdown, a 'get ready for', a 'today' one and a 'see you next year' one
- If you're translating and the coundtown has already started:
- Generate as many days left +2 banners: max date left down to 01 countdown, a 'today' one and a 'see you next year' one
Create a <insert you language code here> sub-page, if it doesn't exist yet and upload all your png images (and translated source files eventually, tar.gz or zipped). Just overwrite the old files and keep the source file of previous years (add the year in the file name)
- Email the sfd-discuss@ or localization@ mailing list letting us know, so we can add one language to the script
Check the English sub-page to verify what is exactly needed, files names and correct size (160x90).
Since we are a global celebration it was important to support the various time zones spreading from UTC-12 to UTC+14 and various languages. At this stage only English is complete but Spanish and German are in the making.
So for someone wanting to add the English version of the countdown and living at UTC-4 (EDT) the link to the banner will be:
<a href="http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/"><img src="http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/countdown/banner1-UTC-4-en.png" border="0" width="160" height="90" alt="Celebrate SFD with us on September 21, 2013!"></a>
The code that we are using is available here.